World of Me

Friday, December 23, 2005

College Finally

Im finally starting school at the Tech college here in Oshkosh. I go to orientation on the 4th, and to register for my classes that same day. Im excited and nervous all in one. The point of me starting at the tech is because I want to get really good grades, go for one semister there, then transfer to UWO. Why not just start at the unniversity you might ask? Because being the idiot that I am, I never took my ACT's. The college I was planning on attending before moving to WI, didnt need ACT's. So why bother? I was talking to a friend and they told me if I make really good grades at the tech, the unniversity will accept me having no scores, and just having good grades being at the tech. So thats the plan. I havent declared a major because I honestly have no idea what I want to do anymore... I love kids, I can type good, I love working with people, and something to do with buisness strikes me curious... so WHO KNOWS... I can't do much with math or science, so thats outta the picture.. ANY IDEAS????
Heres what I've been thinking....
Once I do get to the Unniversity (hoping I do well enough to transfer) I was thinking of joining a sorority. I'm friends with a lot of the girls in Zeta. And they said they'd be able to get me in, if I really wanted. I've heard a lot of positive and negative opinions about the whole shin-dig..
I've always wanted to do it when I was younger, so its nothing new me talking about it.
I just looked at it for a way to make friendships, and have fun. Thats all. I just think it would be fun to be in one.
I've heard that its pretty much like being in highschool again. Lots of girls talk shit and there are bound to be girls you dont like. Thats a given, I mean if you throw 50 girls of different backrounds, opinions, beliefs, etc. personalitys Im sure would clash. It would almost be like the real world in a way.. because you have to be able to work together with these girls. I think that if your able to do that, it would benifit you in the long run of working with different people, and friendships could become of it....

I would love to hear opinions about this..

B

14 Comments:

  • At 8:13 PM, Anonymous matt said…

    Congrats on taking the first step :-) I don't really have any suggestions for what to major in other than to say pick something that you can totally see yourself doing and enjoying. I wouldn't choose for money or job market because if you choose something you are passionate about and want to do, then you will do well enough that you will be successful at it and have a competitive advantage over other job seekers. I've known people in my field that chose it because of the job market and money (when it was big) and they don't really do well. Others I know that chose my field because of passion and natural ability do the best work and have the most fun doing it. A career can be a commitment as big as marriage, so make sure you get involved with something you love :-) The sirority... that I don't have an opinion either way but it is very important to be involved with the university community in some extracurricular way. All of the most important things I learned in college came from outside the classroom. Think about student government, professional organizations, and look for events students organize for other students, such as mock interviews, ettiquette dinners, and leadership seminars. They are invaluable. Best of luck, even though if you put your mind to it you won't need that :-)

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Ken said…

    Came in through your sis' link. Just wanted to say hello.

    Also, nice place here.

    Peace.

     
  • At 3:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger Kuflax said…

    From someone that's spent time at good ole UWO (and MATC and UWM), I have to agree with the other Matt - good for you!

    It doesn't matter so much if you know at this point WHAT you want to study, you'll figure that out as you go along. Take a variety of classes, and you'll figure out what you like and don't like at this level. That's actually half the fun.

    You sound like a social girl, you may not need the sorority to meet people, but I'm not saying you shouldn't join either. When I was at UWO, I came real close to joining a frat, but just didn't have the free time ( I was running track ). I had a great time outside the frat, but sometimes I wonder what it would have been like.

    The only advice that I'll give you that you HAVE to follow (or I'll tell your sister to beat you up)... is that GOING to class is the key. I learned the hard way for a sememster ;)

    But I'm happy for you. Good luck, and enjoy it.

    PS - did Santa bring you everything you asked for?

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger Kiki said…

    Maybe you should look into professional babysitting courses or something along the lines of advanced bus driving.

    MWaaaaaaaaa ha ha ah ha HA!!

    I just crack myself up. WHat it is?

    Wait...wait...

    Beth....

    Quick!!!

    Pump it!!!!

    Jiggle!!!

    Pump!!!

    You'll be fine in whatever you do. I don't quite pin you as the business type per-se, but I'm sure you would succeed at whatever you tried.

    To me, I see you doing something more along the lines of healthcare--you always wanted to be a nurse.

    Possibly something in Communications or media.

    Then again, you could always fall back on your talents of being a HO-HEAD.

    So you're good to go.

    Isn't the longest comment ever??? Loves it!

    Can't wait to pump it and jiggle with you at O'Brian's on Tuesday.

    And oh yeah....
    Kuflax!

    We drove by Wawautosa this weekend and thought about you!

     
  • At 12:27 AM, Blogger Kuflax said…

    Shoulda let me know... I could have taken Tosa's newest visitors out for a beer.

    And you even almost spelled it right!!!

    (just kidding - I live here, and it's a bitch to spell).

    Hope you both had a Merry Christmas!

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger -J said…

    I agree that taking your general requirements classes in the begining will help you figure out what you do and do not like and this will help you in picking a major. Even if you *knew* what you wanted to do now, it is likely that you would change majors before your third year anyway.

    Sororities can be good and they can be bad. I don't think they are necessary, but they can be fun ... and expensive. Try it out, see if you like the women in it and then decide.

    I don't agree about having to be involved on campus. I was involved in a lot of organizations, but I do not think it was where I learned the most. Oh, and I often didn't go to some classes and still got A's. I only didn't attend the classes that were a complete waste of my time.

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger lucylane4326 said…

    I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Ellie said…

    Hey Beth! Check it out, I'm a blogger too now! (I got bored yesterday)

    http://thisisitlindsay.blogspot.com

    You can come visit, but it ain't that interesting.

    ~Lindsay

     
  • At 7:00 AM, Blogger Walking Contradiction said…

    Happy New Year!!!!

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Curious1 said…

    Good luck to you hun... do ya thang!!!

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger Kuflax said…

    Must be a busy year so far.... ;)

    Don't leave us forever!

    Hope you had a great new year, and that Santa brought you everything you wanted!

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Jamie said…

    Hey Beth!!
    I found your link off of Linz's blog and thought I'd say hi. Congrats on the school thing - I think you're making the right decision about the route you're taking. Good luck with this new chapter in your life. Best advise - take a bunch of different courses and see what you like - that's the only way you'll know.

    I hope all is well and I miss you!!! My blog should be up soon.

     
  • At 4:13 AM, Blogger Simon Langer said…

    Hi, I was surfing the internet and happened on your blog. I'm quite impressed , with how this all works. This is one to watch.

    Best wishes,

    Degree MSN online

     

Post a Comment

<< Home